South England Hotels
Number of hotels in this location - 370
Whether you’re looking for a busy break – shopping and sightseeing in one of the region’s popular cities – or a relaxing getaway in the country – wining, dining and unwinding – then our excellent hotels in South England will have something to offer you. As diverse as South England is, you could easily find yourself at a historic site on the mystical Salisbury Plains, boutique shopping in trendy Guildford, or sunning yourself on the South coast.
Treat yourself on one of our excellent value two night dinner deal packages or a stay with afternoon tea included for that extra bit of indulgence. Take the kids with you and make the most of our South England hotels great location close by to Chessington World of Adventures and Thorpe Park, or the outdoor playground that is the New Forest.
- Our Windsor hotels are, understandably, amongst our most popular for family breaks; enjoy the brilliant fun of LEGOLAND Windsor or the historic delights at pretty Windsor Castle.
- For culture and history however, do check out our wonderful hotels in Oxford – not only are the world-famous Oxford University buildings well worth a visit, but a number of charming museums and markets make this one of the region’s premier short break destinations.
- The vibrant port cities of Portsmouth and Southampton should also make your shortlist – offering the fine dining, exciting nightlife and superb shopping you’d expect from bustling cities, both are also steeped in fascinating maritime history.
- For a quieter break by the sea, our hotels in Bournemouth are very hard to beat – enjoy a traditional cream tea, rest easy on the 7 miles of sandy beaches or head for a walk in the gorgeous Dorset countryside or along the nearby Jurassic Coast.
With a wealth of things to see and do, the region is the perfect choice for a short break – check out our range of hotels in South England in the list below.
Choose Hotels by Availability
Hotels in South England
The prosperous town of Basingstoke is settled in the south eastern county of Hampshire, offering an abundance national parks and stately homes for you to explore. Short break lovers looking for hotels in Basingstoke have a great selection to choose from, whether you’re looking to enjoy everything the town centre has to offer or fancy something a little more rural, you’ll find the perfect hotel for you amongst our collection.
Bognor Regis is a popular seaside resort with lots to offer! Once a small fishing village, it is now host to award-winning sandy beaches, Punch & Judy shows, donkey rides and traditional seafront cafes, bars and restaurants. Stoll along the pier, take a step back in time at the Bognor Regis Museum or discover nearby Chichester’s 2,000 year history.
The sheer number of hotels in Bournemouth should give you a general idea about how popular this seaside town is. Bournemouth is a vibrant town with a variety of shops, restaurants, Bournemouth hotels, buzzing nightlife and endless Dorset countryside to explore. It lies at the eastern end of the Jurassic Coast with seven miles of golden beaches, beautiful parks and award winning gardens. There is plenty to do in Bournemouth, so get the most out of your visit with us.
Surrounded by forests and stunning scenery, the new town of Bracknell is fast becoming one of the go-to hot spots for a short break. Just 10 miles south of Windsor and only 30 miles from central London, our hotels in Bracknell offer a great base for exploring both local attractions and further afield. There are plenty of things for everyone to enjoy here:
- Whether you fancy a leisurely swim or want to take the kids for a splash, the Coral Reef Water Park is always a popular day out. Don’t forget to pack your swimwear!
- Get outdoors and brave the heights at Go Ape Bracknell. Hidden away in Swindley Forest, there’s even an ultimate Segway experience for those who want to be a little closer to the ground
The county town of Surrey, our hotels in Guildford#boldened# provide short break guests a great place to stay when exploring the surrounding area. Offering a combination of modern shopping mixed with historical charm, visitors to the town will be spoilt for choice when it comes to planning activities.
There are plenty of parks and stately homes in the area to visit, from Polesden Lacey to Hatchlands Park, Loseley House to Clandon Park, National Trust enthusiasts have a great array of locations to explore.
Boasting some of the most stunning UK coastlines and an abundance of picturesque towns, The Isle of Wight has long been one of the most popular short break destinations in our fair isles. Our Isle of Wight hotels allow visitors to explore everything this haven has to offer, from exhilarating water sports, theme parks, donkey rides and a variety of historic castles and museums.
- The multi award-winning Seaview Wildlife Encounter is a great way to enjoy all of the local animal life, plus some added extras such as wallabies and meerkats!
- Take a trip down memory lane with a visit to the GodshillModel Village. Amazing replicas of the traditional villages come to life, making for the ideal family trip out
- Discover a hidden treasure at St Catherine’s Lighthouse. Standing since 1323, you can enjoy a thoroughly informative tour and some stunning views#bulletend Our selection of hotels in the Isle of Wight give you the perfect base from which to enjoy many nearby towns and villages. Be mesmerised by Cowes’ colourful array of sailing boats, visit Newport’s delightful shops and historic Carisbrooke Castle or wander along Sandown’s seaside promenades for a relaxing break in the south.
Known for its stunning woodlands and variety of wildlife, it’s no wonder that hotels in New Forest are becoming more popular. Home to traditional pubs and elegant tea rooms, it’s a haven for cyclists, canoeists, riders and walkers. Must-sees include Breamore Manor House, the attractive Burley village and Adventure Wonderland for children.
- With some of the most picturesque forest routes in the UK, there’s no better way to enjoy your surroundings than packing up your mountain bike or hiring one nearby. Remember to take your camera!
- A two mile stretch along the coast, The Solent Way Walk is the perfect way to spend a sunny day in New Forest. Ending up at Hurst Castle, you’ll be blown away by the natural beauty of your surroundings
- Whether you’re a vehicle enthusiast or not, the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu is a great day out for all. With our 250 automobiles, including Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, you’ll be sure to enjoy the visit
If a rural retreat is what you’re after, then look no further than our hotels in Newbury. A principal town in the county of Berkshire, the area is most well-known for its high calibre horse training and famous Newbury Racecourse, ideal if sporting events are your thing. The town, with its many 17th century buildings, is located in the picturesque River Kennet valley and overlooked by the North Wessex Downs making it an area of outstanding beauty.
- Take a tour around the home of Downton Abbey with a visit to Highclere Castle. The stunning castle and landscape will keep you mesmerised for hours, with some great private tours available should you wish to learn more
- If you fancy having a flutter on your short break then get yourself to Newbury Racecourse. Host of many great race days, you can bet on your favourites and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere
- For a relaxed evening full of culture, The Watermill Theatre offers everything from classic Shakespeare to big-number musicals, all in front of an intimate 220-seater audience
Book a hotel in Oxford and see that there’s so much more here than just the University. A visit to Oxford means that you get to shop at the covered market, visit the world renowned Modern Art Museum or stroll through the Universities botanical gardens for a stonewalled haven of peace in the bustling city.
Our great range of hotels in Portsmouth provide an excellent getaway to the popular south east coast of England. A thriving waterfront city, Portsmouth is home to miles of stunning coastline and is rich in maritime history. Remaining as a busy active ferry port, Portsmouth is also home to the world's oldest dry dock still in use. Although smaller than in its prime, the naval base is home to famous ships including the Mary Rose, HMS Warrior and Lord Nelson's HMS Victory, and is a popular destination for visitors staying in our Portsmouth hotels. Those staying in our hotels in Portsmouth who take a trip to the harbour can discover the iconic Spinnaker Tower which boasts a triple observation deck. Providing visitors with a 350° view of the city and the harbours, the tower it a must see attraction for those staying in one of our hotels in Portsmouth. Our Portsmouth hotels provide easy access to many other must-see attractions, including the birthplace of Charles Dickens, the popular Blue Reef Aquarium and the natural history museum at Cumberland House. With plenty of attractions on offer and being easily accessible from London, Portsmouth hotels are a popular choice for visitors looking for a break to the coast.
Reading is at the heart of the attractive Thames Valley area 40 miles west of London, with a wide range of Reading hotels providing easy access to the town’s attractions. Reading is well known as a destination for festivals, with an annual beer festival which is one of the largest in the UK, and the Reading Festival which attracts thousands of music fans every year. If you don’t fancy getting muddy in a tent, staying in one of our hotels in Reading is a great alternative to camping. Reading town centre is a popular shopping destination, with a mix of well known department stores and The Oracle indoor shopping mall which is easily accessed from many of our Reading hotels. For a great day out, our hotels in Reading are an excellent base for visiting nearby Henley-on-Thames, where the annual Royal Regatta is held. Sports fans can pay a visit to the Madejski Stadium, home to Reading Football Club and London Irish rugby team. Watch a game and enjoy the lively atmosphere, indulge in an evening visiting the town’s pubs and bars and return to the comfort of our Reading hotels. Whatever activities you choose to enjoy in this vibrant town, our hotels in Reading are ideal for your short break.
Recently listed in Lonely Planet’s Top 10 Cities in the World, it’s easy to see why hotels in Salisbury have become so popular. Rich in Neolithic archaeology and an area of outstanding beauty, Salisbury is a chalk plateau in central southern England. Home to the world famous Stonehenge and many other stone monuments, visitors come from far and wide to discover the historic and mythological tales of the area.
- Welcoming visitors for more than 750 years and with the tallest spire in the UK, Salisbury Cathedral is an impressive example of medieval architecture and a great place to spend an hour or so. It’s also home to the original Magna Carta
- You can’t really visit Salisbury without taking the opportunity to see Stonehenge. The famous stone structure has become an iconic landmark of the United Kingdom and one of the most recognisable in the world. A must do on your short break
- Whether you’re a fan of all things that fly or have kids that would love to sit in the cockpit of a super jet, Boscombe Down Aviation Collection should definitely be on your to-do list. Lots of hands on exhibits to keep the kids, and big kids, entertained
Museums, parks, art galleries, theatres, an historic waterfront and plenty of Southampton hotels, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city. Learn all about Southampton’s Titanic story and the city’s maritime heritage at the Maritime Museum. Enjoy some great shopping opportunities at three major shopping venues or for the more energetic, partake in some water splashing fun at The Quays or ride the Ringo’s on the slopes at the Alpine Centre. With so much to see and do, our hotels in Southampton offer a great base for a fun-filled short break. A great destination with a fantastic mixture of modern and traditional Southampton hotels for you to choose from. Close to many of our hotels in Southampton you can find a thriving cultural scene. Take in some of the city’s rich and varied heritage in the Old Town district, visit the museums and art galleries in the city’s Above Bar Cultural Quarter, or see some outstanding performances at The Mayflower Theatre or The Guildhall. Then visit Southampton’s colourful waterfront for alfresco dining, or enjoy lunch at one of the cafés, pubs and restaurants in the Old Town and Below Bar. Our Southampton hotels also provide a great base for exploring the nearby New Forest national park or even the Isle of Wight which is just a short ferry journey away. With our wide choice of hotels in Southampton to suit a variety of budgets and needs, you are sure to find an ideal hotel close to all the fun things to see and do.
The peaceful town of Weybridge is situated within easy reach of London yet manages to maintain all the charms of the English countryside. Our hotels in Weybridge allow you to discover some of the highlights of the area, from numerous stately homes to an abundance of quaint cafes, boutique shops and more. Take advantage of the town’s great location and visit nearby Hampton Court Palace, Sandown Park and the renowned Richmond Park.
- Pay a visit to the Brooklands Museum, the world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit! Racing fans will love this attractions, which was also home to Concorde and an unparalleled collection of World War aircrafts
- Another one for vehicle lovers, Mercedes-Benz World is a great free attraction and home to some of the finest supercars you’re ever likely to see. There are even opportunities to get in the driving seat and try some out, but make sure you book in advance
- Relax and indulge in some ‘me time’ at the Weybridge Health Club and Spa. With a gym, sauna, pool and spa treatments available, it’s a great place to spend an hour or so after a busy day of exploring
As a popular family seaside resort with a long, golden sandy beach and a picturesque harbour, it’s easy to see why hotels in Weymouth are becoming more popular. With services to the Channel Islands and France, you can even extend your short break onto the continent relatively easily. The town is located half-way along the spectacular Jurassic Coast - to the west is the Isle of Portland connected to the mainland by Chesil Beach making Portland harbour an ideal location for major sailing events. Or, you can make some time for these great activates:
- Recently awarded Dorset’s ‘Top Visitor Attraction’ Award, Sandworld is definitely worth a visit on your break in Weymouth. With giant sculptures from world-class sand artists, you’ll see the likes of Darth Vader and numerous dinosaurs brought to life in sand form
- 3 miles of golden sand make Weymouth Beach a must-do when visiting Dorset. A tradiotnal seaside resort, you’ll find Punch & Judy, donkey rides and even Beach Volleyball Cha,pionships in summer. Remember your bucket and spade!
- The build of Sandsfoot Castle was commissioned by Henry VIII back in 1539, and is a stunning example of sixteenth century barricades – primarily built to protect the port. History fans will love touring this place, as it’s full of interesting stories
Often described as ‘the perfect English city’, Winchester is an ideal destination for a relaxing getaway. Hotels in Winchester can provide the perfect base to explore this culturally rich medieval city. Based in the county of Hampshire, one hour south-west of London, Winchester was once the capital of England back in the 10th and 11th centuries. The city sits between South Downs and the New Forest, meaning Winchester hotels provide visitors with the best of city and country. Hotels in Winchester come in all stars, shapes and sizes, ensuring suitable accommodation for all their guests. With a rich history, including the impressive Winchester Cathedral and award-winning pubs and restaurants, the city is popular with culture vultures and foodies alike. Lively street theatre, impressive architecture and a buzzing contemporary arts scene attract a diverse array of visitors all year round. Many hotels in Winchester are based in the atmospheric city centre, with all the central attractions, restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. You can find other accomodation dotted around the surrounding Hampshire countryside, which is a perfect option for guaranteed peace and quiet. Browse our range of Winchester hotels to find the perfect place to stay during your trip to this fabulous city.
Windsor is the perfect short break destination, offering 1,000 years of history, some of the UK’s top visitor attractions, great shopping, superb restaurants, and plenty of fantastic Windsor hotels. Our attraction packages provide the perfect family break and include tickets to Windsor’s nearby theme parks Legoland, Thorpe Park and Chessington World of Adventures plus a stay in one of our hotels in Windsor. Whatever you plan to see and do whilst on your break to Windsor, we offer a great selection of Windsor hotels close to its many splendid attractions. What’s more, you can also book tickets with us for Windsor Castle or enjoy a Windsor & Eton City Sightseeing bus tour along with our hotels in Windsor. Watch the changing of the guards, enjoy a stroll through Windsor Great Park, and take a tour of Eton College or a boat trip along the river Thames. Then return to your Windsor hotels for some well earned rest and relaxation. We have a great range to suit all budgets and many of our hotels in Windsor offer elegant restaurants and leisure facilities for you to enjoy and make the most of your stay.
Please note that information contained in these location guides was correct at the time of research, but may be liable to change. Any mentioned attractions/points of interest can change or close. Maps are a guide only. If you do find any inaccuracies or know of something you feel deserves inclusion in our guides, please email your comments to email@example.com.