InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5 5 Star:
Per Person Per Night
Search for room availability
Set in the heart of Central Amsterdam, the Intercontinental-Amstel hotel is ideally located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts meet. It is within walking distance of the Van Gogh Museum and the Royal Carré, amongst other attractions.
Since opening in 1867, the superior Intercontinental hotel has been revered globally for its atmospheric rooms and dedicated, friendly staff. Stay in one of the hotel’s unique suites and enjoy the heritage and splendour of a lavish and stylish room. All rooms come with full air-conditioning, additional furniture and room service/butler service on request, making your stay as comfortable as possible.
The Intercontinental hotel also boasts the Michelin-starred restaurant La Rive overlooking the picturesque Amstel River, with glittering crystal chandeliers hanging in the Amstel Lounge and a luxurious 15 metre long heated indoor pool. Guests can also enjoy the benefits of the Health Club, on request.
Hotel Facilities & Services
- Concierge Desk
- Tea and Coffee Making Facilities
- Internet Access
- Air Conditioning
- Mini bar
- Pay Movies
- Direct Dial Telephone
- Complimentary Newspaper
- Iron/Ironing Board
- Trouser Press
- Laundry/Dry Cleaning Services
- Housekeeping (daily)
- Cable/Satellite TV channels
- Baby Sitting
Bar and Restaurant
- Bar in Hotel
To view our full selection of accommodation in Amsterdam Area, view our hotels in Amsterdam Area page.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating
- Overall: based on 969 reviews
- Sleep Quality:
Stay Date: 08/2017, KemaAtlanta wrote this review.
Just checking in for two nights and was not told that the entire front of the hotel is under construction (and will be for some time). Half of the rooms windows are blocked the rooms get to share in the noise. When pushing for room on other side of h… See more
Just checking in for two nights and was not told that the entire front of the hotel is under construction (and will be for some time). Half of the rooms windows are blocked the rooms get to share in the noise. When pushing for room on other side of hotel was told I was told they could move someone from there for 50 euros per night (their discounted rate! From 75 euros) per night...interesting to find three other couples were told the same thing. Collapse
Old World Luxury
Stay Date: 07/2017, xroalen wrote this review.
The Amstel is old world luxury. It is an institution being the oldest hotel in Amsterdam and I was lucky enough to stay with them on their 150 year anniversary. In commemoration, they were restoring the building to it's original glory. Other reviews … See more
The Amstel is old world luxury. It is an institution being the oldest hotel in Amsterdam and I was lucky enough to stay with them on their 150 year anniversary. In commemoration, they were restoring the building to it's original glory. Other reviews I've read noted being bothered by the construction noise but I never heard anything nor was bothered. Upon arriving, I was offered help with my bags and guided up to my desk for what felt like a more intimate check in experience and then escorted to my room. The attendant explained everything in my room to me and was delighted to offer any help I needed from dinner reservations to sightseeing recommendations. They had placed me on the highest floor with a river view overlooking the city. The hotel isn't in party central but plenty of bars, restaurants, and shops are within walking distance. The room was sizeable with a beautiful view out the window. Summer in Amsterdam is a sight to be seen from above with passing boats, people walking the streets, and at night, dazzling city lights. The bathroom had a large bathtub, separate stand-up shower, and seperate toilet room. I had made plans to wait in line for the Anne Frank House but decided to soak up the views and relax in my hotel room instead. I love the old world traditions that this hotel still partakes in such as room escorting, turn down service, clothes line in bathroom, etc) Room service was speedy and hospitable, but the food seemed a hair above mediocre. This hotel is exactly what I'm looking for from a luxury hotel and will definitely stay again next time I'm in Amsterdam. Collapse
Massive dissapointment. IC Amstel have PERMANENTLY lost this 8year loyal Royal Ambassador Guest
Stay Date: 07/2017, scuba_in_the_sun wrote this review.
Two stays JUL2017+Aug2017 left lots to be desired. Staff attitude and hotel regard for guests is too poor. I can no longer recommend this once excellent hotel. Two really poor experiences, 10days apart, July2017/Aug2017 whilst Anita the IC Amstel … See more
Two stays JUL2017+Aug2017 left lots to be desired. Staff attitude and hotel regard for guests is too poor. I can no longer recommend this once excellent hotel.
Two really poor experiences, 10days apart, July2017/Aug2017 whilst Anita the IC Amstel GM was on vacation. As a loyal IC Amstel guest with multiple stays back to 2009, also being a Royal Ambassador it pains me to say IC Amstel have permanently lost me as a customer and I will not be returning.
April2017 (4night Paid good stay 4th Floor River View suitre tram bridge end)
o . excellent 4night paid April2017 Kings Week stay which I had loved (as usual)
o April2017 despite front river corner scalfolding, I was placed opposite end 422 rooms to maintenance scaffoldig, zero noise from maintenance work.
o As such next July I was not expecting noise all day and first thing 8am next day
- I noted scalfolding/sheeting in front of building from far corner to Entrance Steps
- Given a corner 402 River View Suite. Immediately noticed continuous ongoing heavy hammering like noise seemingly coming all aroud and even overhead. This lasted several hours from 10.30 checkin to 5pm ?
- Staff member bring Fruit amenity was not happy with noise, was to update notes on room. Staff mentioned maybe room move but we thought if noise from fron=middle of building other corner is no further away
- AND 8am next morning BANG BANG again ... WHY O WHY have Amstel workman start that early. ! !
- No matter how nice a room, if this bad noise wise all enjoyment is lost!
- At breakfast popped onto River Terrace and saw workers dismantling scaffolding I was not informed of outside my corner of buolding under/outside my room !
- Further at checkin (why not email, it was knowmn I'd have booked elsewhere this night) letter that NO HOT WATER 01.00-05.00 . Far too early we need on return to hotel after going out for evening
- Further letter is INCORRECT, not just no hot water BUT .. NO WATER AT ALL, no toilets, no washing hands
- On checkout I tried to politely mention the issues, staff member listened but offers nothing. A colleague says maybe we can remove breakfast cost (although not adequate either imho). I replied had breakfast as Club Experience and other staff just went quiet
So stay #1 very poor, noisy room, continuously 1000-1700, WORSE restarted 0800 exactly. I am really angry about the whole stay , and then no water/shower/toilet at night, and if known I would stay elsewhere.
o August (10nights later)
- I was wanting to cancel but with time difference and travel couldn't in time. I emailed IC Amstel asking for noshow clarifiucation (ie use award even so, hotel refund points or charge $500 flex rate + offering varios solutions eg I'd have an NL colleague stasy as additional guest..... No reply whaytsoever, SO to avoid $500 flex bill I checked in 1645 to be told DM replied really late at a useless to me 1400, when he first saw email i send 20hours earlier)... redoing my flights etc is costly and due to lack of communication from 5* IC
- Booked award room as Royal Ambassador. I had booked previously but recently had been making only paid nights stays, eg 3nights Nov2016, 4nights apr2017
- On checkin DutyM
High Tea in the Amstel Lounge
Stay Date: 07/2017, Lakies04 wrote this review.
I recently had high tea at the Amstel. I really enjoyed the experience. The teas were well matched with the small snacks. Staff were attentive and nice. Do not eat beforehand there is so much food, I had to take a few of the sweets with me.
I recently had high tea at the Amstel. I really enjoyed the experience. The teas were well matched with the small snacks. Staff were attentive and nice. Do not eat beforehand there is so much food, I had to take a few of the sweets with me. Collapse
A World-Class Afternoon Tea
Stay Date: 07/2017, gl0riac225 wrote this review.
I love afternoon tea. It is one of my favorite things to do when visiting a new city. The Afternoon Tea at the Amstel is a world class experience. The service is impeccable and the server functions more like a wine steward than a waitress, explain… See more
I love afternoon tea. It is one of my favorite things to do when visiting a new city. The Afternoon Tea at the Amstel is a world class experience. The service is impeccable and the server functions more like a wine steward than a waitress, explaining the origins of the tea and why it was chosen to complement a particular menu item. The four-course presentation is delicious and visually stunning. The three-tiered dessert tray was sumptuous. The setting spectacular. It's expensive (around $50), but it is a beautiful 2-hour feast. Enjoy! Collapse
- Rest assured your break is safe with us
- No credit card or booking fees
- Your information is secure with GlobalSign
- Best UK Operator, Globe Awards 2017
Superbreak star ratings are given as a guide to help you choose between our hotels and do not necessarily relate to those awarded by other organisations.
They symbolise the level of service and range of facilities that you can expect at the property; ranging from 1 star - hotels with the simplest range of facilities, to five stars - luxury hotels with a wider range of facilities.
Please note that different countries have different standards and star ratings may differ according to the country where the hotel is located.